What actually is project quality management? Discover more about what it entails in this comprehensive and informative article.
Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS) is an offering from Amazon Web Services (AWS) that makes it easier to set up, operate and scale a relational database on AWS Cloud. This service also allows you to scale your CPU, memory, storage and IOPS on an individual basis. (Otherwise, you would normally have less control over your relational database when these items are bundled together).
Moreover, Amazon RDS performs automatic backups, allowing you to create backup snapshots to instantly restore a database. It also provides added security to manage user access to your Amazon RDS databases by using AWS Identity and Access Management to set permissions for specific users. Finally, Amazon RDS gives users the ability to work on MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, Amazon Aurora, PostgreSQL, MariaDB and more.
Top Amazon RDS Features:
1. Lower administrative burden
4. Advanced security
7. Availability and durability
Benefits of Using Amazon RDS on SQL
There are many benefits associated with using Amazon RDS on SQL. Most notably, it offers scalable computing capacity, so you can rest assured your application’s performance is consistently optimal. It also allows you to more easily manage time-consuming database administration tasks such as software patching, monitoring and scaling architecture. Plus, Amazon RDS for SQL Server includes the license, so there’s no need to purchase a separate SQL Server license.
Amazon RDS is a highly flexible relational database for applications and can be tailored to any organization’s requirements. You can take advantage of hourly rates for short-term projects or purchase Reserved DB Instances for one to three years. Additionally, the one-time payment comes with the added benefit of a significantly discounted hourly usage rate.
Finally, Amazon RDS can work with standard or Provisioned IOPS storage to deliver fast and consistent performance. Amazon RDS is a great service for those looking to free up some extra time, become more productive and manage sets of data more efficiently.
How to Connect to Amazon RDS MySQL
Some of the biggest companies in tech — such as Spotify, Twitter and Netflix — use MySQL. Therefore, using Amazon RDS MySQL is a sensible choice if you’re still familiarizing yourself with relational databases. With only a few clicks and a handful of settings to take care of, the setup process is straightforward and fairly quick.
Outlined below are the steps to connect to the Amazon RDS MySQL database:
- Log into Amazon RDS.
- Go to the "Services Management" console and select "RDS." This can be found under the "Database" section.
- Create a Database Instance by clicking "Launch DB Instance" in the "Instances" tab.
- Select your preferred database engine by clicking "Select." This can be found next to "MySQL." (You can also find helpful information here, such as storage capacity.)
- Select the "Production" or "Dev/Test" option, depending on your purpose for using Amazon RDS.
- Specify the instance specifications that meet your preferences. Once here, you will need to create a DB Instance identifier along with a master username and password. This username and password will be used to connect to Amazon RDS as well as set up your basic settings and permissions. Once you finish, click "Next Step."
- Input your settings for security, monitoring, backup and maintenance. Once complete, click "Launch DB Instance."
- The instance process should now begin to launch, which may take some time to complete. The status of the launch should remain visible throughout it.
- Once the status of the instance becomes available, this means your database instance is deployed. From then on, you can start running dbForge Studio for MySQL in order to connect to Amazon RDS. To complete this step, click on "Database Explorer" and then "Database Connection."
- Once you are in the Database Connection Properties window, specify the type, enter the hostname (without its port) as well as the master username and password you created earlier in step six. Once complete, click "OK."
Following these steps enables you to quickly start managing your application’s new database. For more information, see how to connect to Amazon RDS MySQL database.
The primary purpose of Amazon RDS is to free up your time and manage a relational database with ease. While it may take some time to familiarize yourself with Amazon RDS, you’ll save both time and money in the long run.
If you would like to learn more about taking advantage of AWS’s wide range of cloud services to improve storage, performance and data processing, please explore ExitCertified’s selection of AWS training courses.
Since 2001, ExitCertified has been a leading provider of 100% vendor-approved IT training programs. Learn the top IT skills companies need to utilize in their organization to overcome the technical challenges they face in addressing their digital transformation journey.